Monday, July 6, 2009

Underwire is NOT the Enemy!

Somewhere around the tender age of 13, I had the misfortune of trying on an underwire bra that was clearly the wrong size. It poked, it stabbed, and it almost robbed me of my adolescent sanity. I had never felt so uncomfortable in one piece of clothing in all my life. From that day forward, I promised my precious ta-tas that they would never ever be tortured by the likes of the demon called underwire.

For the next 17 years, I moved heaven and earth to find comfortable, wire-free, D-cup, plus-size bras (The more adjectives you add, the harder the search.). My search was definitely not as fun as the models in the Victoria Secret ads made bra shopping to be. And unbeknownst to me, I made my search even harder by limiting myself to wire-free bras.

But, yesterday I made a breakthrough. While I was at Lane Bryant’s Buy Two, Get Two Free Bra Sale, I decided to get my girls re-measured and see if underwire bras were still a tool from Lucifer’s Lair. After getting my proper size (44 DD for Double Dynamite), I decided to try on a hot pink underwire bra from Cacique’s Balconette collection. Alrighty, cup one, cup two, adjust the straps, and …what the heck? It fits AND it doesn’t hurt! When did that happen? Why didn’t anyone tell me how fantastic underwire bras are? Oh boy! I was on a roll now. By the end of that productive shopping trip, I ended up purchasing four new underwire bras.

What I discovered is that underwire bras are only the enemy if you are not wearing the proper size. On the rare occasions that I tried underwire bras over the years, the bras that I selected were either too large and sat uncomfortably on my rib cage or too small and pinched my breasts. Neither condition is desirable. When you are wearing the right size, the underwire in an underwire bra should fall right under your breast tissue. As you look into a mirror, your bra should lift your breasts so that they form one beautiful line between your shoulder and your elbow. As I mentioned in my previous post, “To Thine Own Breast Be True,” a proper bra fitting is essential for building a good bra collection and this advice is even more true when it comes to finding underwire bras that give you just the right support.

It feels weird for me to type the words “bra” and “liberated” in the same sentence, but I today I do feel liberated in knowing that I don’t have to limit my bra selection to just the wire-free section. I can now go forth and be properly uplifted! What a joy!

Until next time,
Stay curvy and fabulous!
P.S. Lane Bryant’s Buy Two, Get Two Free Bra Sale ends today (7/6/09). Don’t miss your underwire miracle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment