Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Live Your Life Off the Wall!

I heard the title track from Michael Jackson’s solo debut “Off the Wall” for the first time at Morgan’s bookstore during my senior year of college. I was absentmindedly searching for snacks at the front counter and this song began pouring out of the overhead speakers. I was amazed that there were still Michael Jackson songs out there that I didn’t know and I immediately fell in love with the song’s funky disco groove and the infectious chorus.

So tonight gotta leave that 9 to 5 upon the shelf/And just enjoy yourself/Groove, let the madness in the music get to you/Life ain’t so bad at all/If you live it off the wall

Here are the lyrics that really got me --

Gotta hide your inhibitions/Gotta let that fool loose deep inside your soul/Want to see an exhibition/Better do it now before you get too old/ ‘Cause we’re the party people night and day/ Livin’ crazy is the only way

Talk about falling in love with a song at the first listen! I ran out to my nearest music store…well, who I am I kidding, you know fat girls don’t really run. Let’s just say I walked…OK, OK, I drove really quickly to find this CD. After finding it and playing this song for the 100th time, “Off the Wall” became the anthem for my life. I’m a person who always searches for quirky or unique elements about everything. If everybody decides to jump off a bridge, I’m going to try to jump off an even better bridge with sparkly lights. Yet, in the past few years working in the professional world, I allowed my life to go from off the wall to inside a confining box. I started to squelch some of my passion and fire because I didn’t want to offend anyone with my bold, colorful wardrobe, my loud laugh (which often includes snorting!), and my curiosity and wonder for life. I started putting myself into a neat and tidy cell and I was very close to just giving up a lot of the wonderful and quirky things that make me who I am.

When I became tired of being bored and frustrated with this mundane existence that I had created for myself, I decided that living a boxed in and restrained life was far from who I wanted to be. I became dedicated to living my life totally off the wall. I stopped caring about other people and what they might think about me and my choices. I was determined not to become yet another person who swallows their dreams for the comfort of others.

Like many of you, my heart was certainly heavy upon learning the news of Michael Jackson’s death last week. No matter what you thought about his life or his choices, he certainly lived his life off the wall. This is a man who definitely used the 50 years that God gave him to the fullest extent. I am honored to have been just a mere listener and admirer of the wonderful talent that he was.

It might not be your calling to create the greatest album of all time or to dance your way into the hearts of millions. But, it is your destiny NOT to live your life in a box. Try something new. Explore a new trend that you’ve never tried before. Give your number to that cute guy you’ve been flirting with since forever. Whatever it is and whatever it takes, LIVE YOUR LIFE OFF THE WALL!


And before we go, how HOT is this rainbow sequins party dress ($208.00) by Monif C? It is so TOTALLY off the wall. I need a really good reason to unleash all of this fabulousness on the world. Maybe at a good concert or next Tuesday at work? LOL!

Love you, Hot Mamas!

Until next time,
Stay curvy and fabulous!



I humbly dedicate this blog post to the life and incredible talent of Michael Jackson. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment