Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Becoming a Transformer

When my brother Thomas and I were in elementary school, we spent almost every morning watching “The Transformers” before we went to school. (He swears that he let me watch my girly cartoons, but I have no recollection of any equality in our AM cartoon routine). For the first few moments of the show, I would be annoyed because I didn’t get to watch what I wanted to see. But somewhere after the first commercial break, my whining would cease and I would be captured by the amazing world of the Autobots and the Decepticons. I loved when they made the “chuucka chuucka” sound when they would transform and I secretly wished that I could become the yellow bumble bee car. I never let on to my brother that I really liked the show (I’ve got a 30-year streak of not admitting when he is right. Why stop now?). Now that "The Transformers" have gained popularity again, it made me think more about how we have the power to be Transformers in our own lives every day.

As creatures of habit, we all get easily stuck in bad routines, poor choices, tumultuous relationships, and destructive thinking. Sometimes we get real cozy with our adverse situations and give up the possibility of turning things around for the better. Four years ago, I began what I thought was an innocent relationship with Chipotle burritos. Sure, they looked healthier than the Taco Bell burritos I grew up with, but these puppies were packing some serious calories behind that tortilla. It almost broke my heart when I learned that my beloved chicken burrito with black beans, rice, corn, sour cream, and salsa verde was a whopping 1,100 calories! Why God why? Although I am making light of my obsession with Chipotle, the reality of the heavy caloric values of many of my favorite fast foods made me begin to take a closer look at how I was thinking about food and my health. I certainly enjoyed the taste of my beloved treats in the moment of consumption, but they weren’t valuable enough for me to continue piling on more pounds and stealing away precious years from my life. Making healthy food choices is still a transformative process for me with EVERY single bite I take. But I am willing to do the work to transform into healthier, longer living Leah for me and the family and friends that I love. My ultimate goal is to transform into a hot 90-year old diva with a sharp tongue and a quick wit to tell folks like it is. There’s no burrito in the world worth me missing out on that gift.

One of my favorite Bible verses is “Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Rom 12:1-2). We have the power to use our minds to choose to transform into anything that we want to be. We can make the choice with every thought to be healthy, courageous, thoughtful, loving, innovative, sexy, kind, brilliant, and any other qualities under the sun that will help us to fulfill our God-given talents and purpose. There are many days when Chipotle still calls my name. However, my greater goals are bigger than succumbing to 1,100 calories. For me, making healthier food choices may not immediately be as dramatic as transforming from a robot to a hot sports car, but I am praying that each small choice I make will help me to transform from ordinary to EXTRAORDINARY!

Wishing you a blessed day of TRANSFORMATION!

No comments:

Post a Comment